English| Franais
The Medina

Monuments of the Medina
Old Tunis
Opened houses
Bab Souika-Halfaouine Project
Hafsia Project
Oukalas Project
Project of the restoration of the mosque of Ezzitouna
ASM

    الإستقبال : Old Tunis  The doors
 
Old Tunis
The doors of the medina

Each Bab (carries) of the Medina points out a holy person, a certain period of the history of the city, the old topography of Tunis.

  • Bab Bhar
  • Bab Carthagina
  • Bab Souika
  • Bab El Benat
  • Bab El Menara
  • Bab Jedid
  • Bab Al Djazira
  • Bab El Alouj
  • Bab Sadoun
    • Bab Sidi Abdesselem
    • Bab ElAssel
    • Bab El Khadra
    • Bab Sidi Abdallah Cherif
    • Bab Sidi Kacem El Jalizzi
    • Bab Gorjni
    • Bab El Fella
    • Bab Alloua

    • Bab Bhar

    • Thus was called because it is located on the side of the lake and of the sea, called by Europeans France carries. It put in communication the Medina with the small wet dock which existed with the site of the statue Jules-Ferry and which disappeared after the digging from the port from Tunis. It underwent many rehandlings.

      It is represented on a XVI century engraving, reproducing in drawing Vermeyen, artist who accompanies Charles Quint in Tunis, in the shape of an arc on raised in withdrawal in the body of the mass and on assembled of a parapet with crenels. It is flanked on each side.


    • Bab Carthagina

    • This door gave access to the terrestrial road which led to Carthage. It disappeared well before 1881.


    • Bab Souika 

    • Instituted in honor of Sidi Mehrez, it was a very important door which originally ordered the access of the roads of Bizerte, Bja and Kef, function reserved later for Bab Sadoun.


    • Bab El Benat

    • The carry disappeared for a long time, but the boulevard preserved the name. It was thus called because the founder of the dynasty hafside, Abou Zakariya (1223-1249) had collected the 3 girls of his enemy Yahya Ben Ghariya and had made them raise as his/her own children in a palate which was near the aforementioned door. This door had especially as a function to put the city in communication with the residential district assigned to the relationship-Christian woman of the hafcides.


    • Bab El Menara 

    • Named thus according to a tradition which was reported to us, because of a headlight which surmounted the old palate of Beni Khorassain. According to another explanation, it would be about a large oil lamp which was placed in a niche of one of the pillars of the door and which one lit the night to light the caravans which skirted the road of the ramparts which was built in 1276. But the opening of this door is certainly before this date, considering its function which was that to put the Medina in communication with the suburb of El Haoua.


    • Bab Jedid
    • As its name indicates it, it is about a door which new or was lately built at the beginning of the time hafside.

      Europeans call it thus carries blacksmiths, because it gives access to the Souk of the craftsmen exerting this trade. Its bay is consisted an arc in addition to last which rests on pillars taken in the mass and which appear very entered with the base.


    • Bab Al Djazira 
    • Directed towards the Cape-Good cap bon, it represents one of the oldest doors of Tunis which gave passage to the travellers which went to Kairouan. It led to the street of the dyers before his total disappearance. She was assumed by Bab Aloua, located in the same southernmost direction, on the 2nd strengthened enclosure, this one having become the principal line of defense of Tunis.


    • Bab El Alouj
    • It as initially called Bab er-Rehiba carries small esplanade, long avenue between two walls which connected, under Hafsides, the palate of Qasba to the royal parks of Short-nap cloth-Tabia and Abou-Fhr, with their relationship in the district of the Esplanade which took the name of Rabat El-Alouj.


    • Bab Saadoun
    • i

      It was thus named thanks to a pious man of the name of Sidi Bou Sadoun which lived in the vicinity of this door at the 15th century.

      From 1881, this door which had only one bay was demolished and replaced by the magnefic door with 3 bays in order to meet the need for the road traffic.


    • Bab Sidi Abdesselem
    • The door was called thus in reference to the godly man sidi Abdessalem El Asmar (1475-1573), built under Hammouda Pasha. The borj which defended Bab Sidi Abdessalem currently shelters the offices of the African Friendships . Near this door, a fesqia, vast water tank built under Hafcides is, and that reshuffles it of Sidi Abdessalem had also a mission of protection.


    • Bab El Assel
    • This door draws its name from Ben Assel, rich family which lived in trimmings. The opening of this door is after 1881.


    • Bab El Khadra
    • i

      Door of access to the fields of greenery, it opened on green fields of the market gardenings and shrubby.

      This door, defended by a bastion, ordered the roads of Carthage and Ariana.

      Its economic and strategic role involved the disappearance of Bab Carthagena. After 1881, the single bay was replaced by the current monumental unit which gives a picturesque seal to this district.


    • Bab Sidi Abdallah Cherif
    • Located at the end West-South of Qasba, this door owes its name to a holy character whose tomb is in the vicinity, outside the rampart, opposite the exit door of Qasba, of exclusively military use, called Bab El Ghedar the hidden door.


    • Bab Sidi Kacem El Jalizzi
    • Located west of the city, on the heights of El Haoua, it owes its name with the tomb-Zaouia of Sidi Kacem El Jalizzi which died in Tunis in 1497. He was manufacturer of glazed squares. He introduced in Tunis Jalliz with animated decoration, Jalliz set of themes and Jalliz with relief.


    • Bab Gorjeni
    • Abbreviation of Bab Sidi Ali El Gorjni, of the name of a holy character, buried in the cemetery which attenait with this door and to which the aforementioned saint also gave his name. It was one of the 40 disciples of famous Aboul Hassen Echadhili (13th century).


    • Bab El Fella
    • This door disappeared around 1890 and the street which connected it to Bab Al Djazira of preserved the name.

      This door would have been initially called Beb El Fellaq carries breach because of a broad breach that one saw there very at side. Then, at the time when Tunis was taken per Charles Quint, in 1535, inhabitants being fled by this door with the approach of Spanish. Its noun would have been modified in that of Bab El Fella the door of rout (according to R. Brunschwig, art-Tunis in the Encyclopedia of Islam).


    • Bab Alleoua
    • The door of the small stage, it was called at the origin of a small construction which was used as station of watch to supervise the roads. It is a very old door quoted by Marmot (Africa, transl. Perrot d' Ablencourt, II, P. 460) that Barberousse used it to enter Tunis. It was called the door of the caravans, because one saw there passing the files of camels which transported towards Tunis cereals and oils of the Cape-Good and the Sahel.

      The bay was extremely widened for the needs for the road traffic by the Management work of the City.

       
      | المستجدات | | خريطة المدينة | فضاء المواطن | خريطة الموقع | اتصل بنا|
      بـلـديـة تـونس